Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The One Where I Started The Blog

It's like a brand new notebook on the first day of school and this is the first page.  You make sure your handwriting is perfect because its the first thing you'll see when you open it up. This blank page is full of possibilities. What first impression do you want to make?



Here I am on my shiny new blog welcoming new and old friends (Hi!) as I expand my little hobby. Putting together my "first page," and the beginning of a new venture. Blogging isn't new to me; it has been in my life since 2009, when I started my family blog. You may know me from Keepin' Up With The Moodys. Feel free to pop over there to learn more about yours truly and my fantastic family. I will continue to blog there. It's like my favorite pair of jeans- comfortable and lived in. I'll continue detail memories and pictures for us to enjoy in the future, especially for my daughter.

So why start a new blog?  

Glad you asked.  

Mostly because I started cleaning my oven last night. I took a "before" picture of that super gross oven that's only been cleaned 2 or 3 times in 3 years and I thought about how much I'd love to take pictures of the process and share the final squeaky clean oven that resulted from combined Pinterest tips. I follow a lot of DIY blogs, and people that want to take pictures of such things are bloggers, am I right? And, really, pictures of an oven cleaning process just doesn't belong next to posts about my daughter's new pictures or my husband's new job. So hello, homemaking blog!

The title? I love it (#TheWorkingHomemaker). It represents me. I struggled with my identity after having my daughter. My whole life, I had envisioned myself (in an apron and pearls, of course) cooking fabulous meals, keeping a spotless house, and raising well-behaved children who I wouldn't dream of leaving at a daycare. Then, reality hit.  Turns out, I didn't fall in love with a rich man. I had a college degree under my belt, big dreams for the future (I want it all- vacations included), and after maternity leave, all I wanted in the world was to go back to work. Sweet routine- you are my lifeline.  And wouldn't you know... I still don't own a proper apron!

So back to work I went. Turns out, two incomes are awesome and my daughter is thriving and still loves me very much. I realized I can have it all. The title "working mom" fits, but I want to go a step further and prove that homemakers can also be career women. Is it still tough to leave my girl at "school" some days? Oh yes. Do I sometimes leave dirty dishes in the sink? You bet! Am I pursuing my life's passion the office everyday? No, not really. But this life the Lord has laid out for me is blessed and I embrace the "working homemaker" mantra.

I'll show you how I do it- through the lens of my iPhone, and my love of compound sentences. So I hope you'll follow, subscribe, comment, and pin.  We're going to share recipes, plan birthday parties, clean ovens, and DIY on a budget. I won't post everyday and may even miss a week here or there, because that's the life of the working homemaker.

Now, where are my pearls?

No comments:

Post a Comment